Melamine furniture has countless benefits that will help you decorate your home and, above all, save money.
Usually the furniture in our homes is made of wood, at least we think so. However, for some time now, most of the furniture on the market is made of chipboard or MDF covered with a sheet of wood or melamine sheet imitating the color, pattern and texture of wood. Melanin furniture has become one of the favorites of consumers due to its enormous benefits, so in this article we will tell you what it is. all these advantages and features who has such furniture?
What is melamine?
Melamine is wooden board covered with decorative sheet impregnated with melamine resins, an organic chemical compound that is water resistant. Melamine boards have a closed surface that is non-porous, hard and durable. It is a material widely used for furniture making as it can be cut, sawed, drilled, nailed, screwed, routed and its edges can be planed. In addition, melamine allows you to work with a wide range of colors, designs and textures, which opens up a wide range of creative possibilities.
Features of melamine furniture
Melamine furniture is covered with a plastic layer (melamine) that has to generally cover both sides of each of the boards which give shape to furniture. The purpose of melamine is to secure and preserve the decorative paper on which the design is printed. To create melamine furniture, two types of wood are usually used, such as chipboard and fiberboard, also called MDF.
Usually melanin boards They have open edges or edges therefore they are covered with a different material. For this purpose, tapes are used that are cut and glued to size. These tapes are usually made from PVC (polyvinyl chloride), a material that, like melamine, offers a wide range of designs, textures and colors. Although PVC is the most suitable and common material in this case, it is not the only one, but You can also use natural or solid wood veneer. for covering the edges or edges of boards.
Advantages of melamine furniture
Melamine furniture has characteristics that make it one of the best options for decorating our homes. This type of furniture has many advantages over others made from other materials.:
- Price is one of the main advantages of melamine furniture, since it They are usually cheaper than other furniture made from materials such as solid wood. In addition, melamine furniture offers excellent value for money as the use of wood such as chipboard and MDF reduces the cost while providing greater stability and durability.
- Melamine furniture They are among the most adaptable and they are suitable for any room. They are waterproof because they are highly resistant to moisture due to the fact that melamine is non-porous, which makes it resistant to water and steam, preventing it from penetrating, which is why it is often used to decorate kitchens or even bathrooms. . .
- melamine Resistant to stains and cleaning agents. Therefore, although melamine furniture requires some maintenance, it is easy to clean and maintain.
- Melamine MDF boards They are an ideal sound insulator. if you want to give a modern look to a room or corner that you want to soundproof.
- Melamine is a material that is not only water and stain resistant, but also resistant to all those agents that can attack and affect furniture. Melamine furniture perfectly resists sunlight, high temperatures and mold.
- It depends on the materials the melamine furniture is made from, but in general they are very light making them easier to move both for cleaning and changing their location.
- Melamine furniture They come in a variety of colors since the use of printed paper together with melamine allows you to create furniture of almost any color and print. Although the most common ones imitate the color of wood, it is very easy to find furniture in a color that best matches the rest of your furniture and the trim of your home if you are looking among melamine furniture.
- Melamine resins They are an antibacterial plastic product. Therefore, furniture containing these products is resistant to parasites or microorganisms and is therefore healthier.
- Melamine furniture can be refinished as there are special paints for painting melamine surfaces. These pictures They are called primer paints.sealing base or primer that will help give it a new look when you want to change your decor or want your furniture to look newer.
- Melamine boards They are easy to manipulate, work, mechanize. and there is no need to apply additional finishing, which further reduces the overall cost of the furniture.
How to care for melamine furniture
Another big advantage of melamine furniture is easy to clean. All you need is a cloth (preferably polysilk) or a regular cloth dampened with soap and water. It is necessary to wipe the surface with a damp cloth and immediately dry the area with a dry cloth so that no traces of water remain on the surface. Another option for cleaning melamine furniture is glass cleaner, one of the products that produces some of the best results. But if you really want your melamine furniture to shine for a long time, there is a very quick and easy trick: Wipe the surface with a dry cloth from time to time so that the resins with which the melamine is impregnated restore its original state.
In addition to knowledge of methods and products for proper care of melamine furniture It is also necessary to keep in mind that there are products that are not recommended for cleaning this type of furniture. When cleaning melamine furniture, it is recommended to avoid products such as wax or sprays as they can damage the surface by scratching or even smudging it. Except, rags that attract dust and excess water This is also unprofitable for this type of furniture.