There are many types of flowers that you can use to decorate your home and here you will learn all about the Bleeding Heart flower.
The Bleeding Heart flower is considered one of the most beautiful flowers that attracts the most attention thanks to the heart shape. Scientifically it is known as Lamprocapnos spectabilis, although you can also find it under very different names such as Corazón de María, Dicentra, Corazón de la Virgen or Fumaria. Near herbaceous plant which belongs to the group Papaveraceae.
It comes from East Asia, that is, that part that includes Siberia, Northern China, Korea and Southern Japan. It started spreading all over the world in the 1940s, when some early specimens were brought to England from Japan by Robert Fortune, a Scottish botanist.
May bloom from early spring to early autumn. depending on the weather. Most often, their flowering occurs at the end of spring and until the first half of summer. It is characterized by a color between pink and purple, with white teardrop center. Below is all the information about this type of flower:
Types of bleeding heart
Since these plants can be classified depending on your geographical locationwe can say that there are three types from North America:
- Bleeding heart, Dutch pants.: As the name suggests, this type of plant is shaped like pants hanging from a string. Are very amazing and a special white color.
- corn squirrel: This exotic type of bleeding heart is native to the woods of New England. Moreover, he is born next to the bleeding heart of the Dutchman.
- bleeding heart with fringe: This is one of the flowers that gardeners prefer when planting because leaf shape and texture They are more beautiful than the most common flowers. They are durable and have a very elegant pink color.
Characteristics of a bleeding heart
This plant, so curious because of its heart-shaped shape, can reach sizes from 3 to 5 centimeters. It is a perennial and rhizomatous plant. the stems of which can reach a height of approximately 70 to 100 cm. In addition, these stems are woody. Its leaves, growing in alternate positions, are compound and deciduous, consisting of leaflets of three on stems. grayish green color. Its roots are easy to damage because they are fragile.
It can be said that it is its flowers that attract all the attraction and attention of people because they are located along the horizontal group and They are heart shaped. From the center of the petals comes another one, resembling a falling drop. The fruits appear after flowering.
As for color, depending on its tone it has meaning. If they are the most common, then purple and fuchsia with a white center that It signifies chivalry and romanticism.. If they are completely white, like the Alba variety, they convey purity, peace and nobility, and if they are flowers with reddish tones, it will signify passion.
It’s very delicate and ordinary grow in very humid places, for example, near lagoons or rivers. Its exposure to the sun varies depending on climate, and the soils in which it is grown are generally characterized by fertility, porosity and low acidity. It’s true that they need a lot of humidity, but They have good drainage.. In autumn it is advisable to use mulching.
However, although these are delicate flowers, They are very dangerous if swallowed by animals. because they are poisonous if consumed in large quantities. They may also cause skin irritation in some people. The most recommended varieties are Pantaloones and Alba.
Cultivating a bleeding heart
As far as how to grow it, there are two ways to do it. On the one hand, this could be for seeds, given that be a fresh seed that can control the cold. To see how they germinate, they are placed on a substrate, wrapped in a plastic bag and refrigerated for 6 and 8 weeks. They are then removed and grown like any other seed. The best time for this is spring, but it should be apply cold treatment them so that they can germinate.
On the other hand, they can also be reproduced by cutting the plant or by cuttings – a method that must be used when the flowering period has come to an end. Particular attention must be paid to watering the plant and take into account that it is planted directly into the ground. The plant should not be exposed to very high temperatures because may lose leaves. The best time of year for planting is autumn.
One of the difficulties that can be encountered in the growing task is that the plant may go dormant during the summer. To prevent this from happening, your soil should always be moist. Also, depending on the region where it is grown, if the summer is too hot, it may lose its leaves and disappear, although it will germinate again the following fall or spring.
The growing soil should be slightly acidic, fertile, well-drained and contain a certain amount of clay to ensure constant moisture. You need to be careful not to drown the plant. with excess water. Water it every week during the hottest time of year and do not allow the soil to dry out between waterings.
Regarding pruning, do not remove foliage before it turns brown or yellow, because this is when the plant stores food supplies for next year’s plants. Caring for this plant includes regular fertilization as it grows.
Caring for a Bleeding Heart
This plant, unlike many others, should not be eaten by animals such as deer or rabbits because They are very poisonous and dangerous if ingested in large quantities.. In this case, you need to take care of the pets, not the plant itself, and so that no accidents occur. However, special care should be taken with slugs, snails and snails because these living creatures yes they can attack this flowerlike aphids.
People should also be careful with the bleeding heart flower because it extremely toxic in any of its parts. Therefore, when working with it, you should wear rubber gloves and long sleeves to help prevent skin irritation and poisoning.
In drier, milder climates, the bleeding heart plant should be placed in partial to full shade. However, in colder and wetter climates They can withstand the sun without any problems.
It is best to plant it in the shade because When they finish flowering, they go into a dormant state., that is, they leave voids at the landing site. For this reason, it is recommended to plant them next to other plants to cover areas without foliage.
As for irrigation, it must be maintained constantly during the summer season and, above all, when the heat is at its most intense. It is important to know that if the soil dries out, the leaves begin to acquire a yellowish color and the plant goes into a dormant state. During the flowering period, liquid fertilizer can be added to the irrigation water every 10 days.
Finally, you should know that the bleeding heart dies and returns back to earth when the summer heat approaches. According to this plant begins to turn yellow and fadefoliage can be cut back to the ground as part of its maintenance.
Curiosities of a bleeding heart
- One of its functions is decorate the interior of the house because it provides elegance, sophistication and beauty.
- Lamprocapnos spectabilis can be propagated by division of bushes, seeds and root cuttings.
- Widely used as a cut flower. for Valentine’s Day or Valentine’s Day.
- Formerly called Dicentra spectabilis, it was renamed Lamprocapnos spectabilis in 2011.
- There is a variety called “Alba” that produces completely white flowers, although they are not as showy as regular ones.
- Like any plant, if it is fertilized during its growth period, it greatly appreciates it, especially when it begins to bloom.
- Due to their great beauty they are used for decorative and decorative purposesespecially in many places in Asia because that is the continent where they originated.
- These plants produce flowers that are 2 to 4 centimeters in size each, making them easy for people to observe.
- From November to March they have neither flowers nor leaves.
- Blooms from mid-spring to early summer and its flowers sometimes persist even before the beginning of autumn.
- Just having it in the garden is very useful because responsible for beauty to wherever you are.
- Each plant can have about 15 flowers.
- Its synonyms are: Capnorchis spectabilis, Corydalis spectabilis, Dicentra spectabilis, Diclytra spectabilis, Dielytra spectabilis, Dielytra spectabilis, Eucapnos spectabilis, Fumaria spectabilis and Hedycapnos spectabilis.
- Easily divided by root pieces or by dividing the bush.