Knitting is very simple and will help you learn how to make clothes such as scarves and hats and thus save money rather than buying from department stores.
Knitting or knitting is a method of weaving materials such as wool, cotton thread or any textile fibers. This method basically consists of a series of loops connected together in such a way that they end up forming a sort of grid. Unlike other types of fabric, leotards use a single thread, which is woven using one or more special knitting needles. Knitting or knitting is an ancient method, the first knitting machines began to be used in 1808, these machines are still in use today and consist of snap needles to which threads are picked up, placed in slots in a frame within which they can slide. sequentially driven by cams.
Although it may seem a little confusing at first, knitting or knitting is a fairly simple activity, and since it does not require any overly heavy or large machines or utensils, it can be done at home or anywhere. If you want to sew your own knitwear the easy way, this article will tell you everything you need and how to do it, so you can learn it quickly and easily.
To start knitting or knitting, it is very important that we have the necessary utensils, which are based on needles and fabric in the form of threads from which we want to make a product from scratch.
Before you start knitting, it is very important to choose the right knitting needles. There is a wide range of knitting needles on the market, which vary depending on the material they are made from, thickness and purpose.
- straight needles: Straight needles are the most used and most famous in the knitting world. These are two long, smooth needles with a blunt tip on one end and a stopper on the other that prevents stitches from falling out. This type of needle Most often they are made of wood and metal. and they usually range from 25 to 40 cm in length. Additionally, this type of knitting needle can vary in thickness; The ideal way to start knitting is to use 3.5 or 4 mm needles.
- circular knitting needles: These are two needles with one point each, connected to each other by a plastic or nylon rope. Round needles are usually made of wood, metal or plastic, their thickness varies from 2 to 20 mm, and their length from 20 to 150 centimeters.
- double pointed needles: As the name suggests, these needles, unlike the straight and round ones, have two points, that is, one at each end. Double point needles are usually smaller, ranging from 10 to 25 centimeters, and are typically used for circular work and groups of four or five needles.
- wool needle: Wool needles have a large eye and usually do not have a point. Usually they are used only to connect different parts of a knitted product and finish its threads.
- auxiliary needle: This type of needle is very similar to double-ended needles in that they also have a point at each end. Auxiliary needles are often used to temporarily suspend stitches that have been removed from the main needle and will be needed later.
- Needle: Crochet hooks are needles that have a kind of slot at the tip, they are usually metal and are used for working with thin cotton and pearl threads, aluminum are suitable for thicker threads, and plastic are used for threads. wool of medium thickness.
Although knitting or knitting can be done with almost any type of fabric, the truth is that the most commonly used fabric for making clothes from scratch using this technique is wool, which can be purchased at any haberdashery or bazaar in the form of balls. You can also use cotton thread, jacquard fabric, etc.
How to knit step by step
Before you start knitting a project, you need to know that there are two ways to cast on stitches: the thumb method and the two-knitting needle method.
The thumb method is often used to create a less noticeable edge on a piece. This method uses a single needle and to start knitting with this method we need to make a loop at one end of the thread we are going to use. To do this, take the free end of the thread with your left hand (if you are right-handed), and the needle with your right hand. After we begin to shape the thread into a loop with your left thumb, placing it under the back thread and moving your thumb up to form a loop. Insert the needle into the loop and keep the thumb of your left hand in the same place. Next, we draw the needle from the bottom up, inside the thread clasping the thumb, and bring the needle down so that its tip carries the thread that was in the right hand. Finally, we release our thumb from the ring of thread and with our left hand we pull the thread so that it is pulled tight, thus forming the second stitch. We continue until we have collected all the points necessary to complete our work.
Two needle method.
The two-needle stitching method is usually used to create a stronger, less stretchy and durable edge on the piece we want to make. This is the most used method and to start knitting with it you just need to make a loop on the left needle. Next, we pass the right needle through the loop in front and wrap the thread around the needle clockwise. We pull the loop through the stitch and put it on the needle. We continue until we have collected all the points necessary to complete our work.
In addition to the two main methods of placing loops, there are also several types of loops. In this article we will look at the most common ones: the knit loop and the reverse loop.
The correct loop is the most basic and most used when knitting; to perform it you need:
- We insert the needle with the cast-on loops into the left hand, and insert the right needle in front of the first loop on the left knitting needle from left to right.
- We thread the thread around the right needle.
- We bring a new loop from the left needle to the right.
- Let’s move on to the right needle. The loop on the right needle is the first knit stitch. We continue to knit all the loops on the left knitting needle.
The reverse stitch is one of the simplest and fastest to perform; for this you need:
- We insert the needle with the cast-on loops into the left hand, and insert the right needle in front of the first loop on the left knitting needle from right to left.
- We thread the wool around the right needle.
- We bring a new loop from the left needle to the right.
- Let’s go to the right needle. The stitch on the right needle is the first purl. We continue to knit all the loops on the left knitting needle.