If you want to decorate your home easily, quickly and cheaply, we will teach you how to give a new look to your wooden furniture using this technique.
Decorating is an art that can be used to change the appearance of a room or object, giving it a new meaning or even a second life. Are There are many techniques and materials with which you can simply decorate something. Houses. Perhaps one of the easiest ways is to transfer images to wooden surfaces. In this article, we will explain how to give your furniture or wooden items a special look. new look cheap, easy and fast.
Before we begin the craft, it is very important that we have all necessary materials to complete it and have it all organized in a spacious and clean workspace. The materials needed to transfer images to wood are:
- Photo or printed drawing what we want to transfer. It is necessary that the printing is done with a laser and, if possible, on thin paper, for example on a regular sheet of paper, and not on cardboard or photo paper.
- wooden surface to which we want to transfer the image. This could be a piece of furniture, a box, a simple piece or anything made of wood that comes to mind, it does not matter the size, type of wood or its thickness, it is desirable that the surface don’t count on any type of varnish as this may make transmission difficult.
- Medium matte gel or image transfer product. Similar products can be easily found at craft and craft stores.
- Brush possibility of applying the product to wood.
- Spatula or a hard plastic card that will help us distribute the gel well and avoid lumps.
- A rag.
- A spray with water.
- Matt lacquer.
How to transfer an image to a tree step by step
- First of all, before you start transferring to wood, you need to select photo or a drawing you want to transfer. After choosing you must print it with a laser Moreover, printing on a sheet of paper or thin paper can be either color or black and white. It is important to know that when transferring an image to a wooden surface the image will be upside down, that is, as if it were the reflection of a mirror. For this reason, if you want the transferred image to look the same as the original, you need to print upside down. Once the image is printed, it’s convenient. cut it out without leaving white areas of paper around the image.
- In second place, apply medium matte gel on the wooden surface on which we are going to make the transfer. To do this, use a brush to apply the gel to the wood in several layers, spreading it very well over the entire surface so that it is distributed evenly. For this we can use a spatula or a plastic card. This way, the image transfer will be completed without any problems.
- Next, place the photo on a wooden surface that we impregnated with gel. To do this, we will gradually place the image, trying no wrinkles or blisters formed. To do this, we can help ourselves with a plastic card, stretching the image as we place it.
- When we have glued the photo very well with gel to the surface, we need let it dry. To do this you will have to leave it for at least 8 hours at room temperature.
- When the time required for the gel to dry has elapsed, you can proceed to remove paper and see how the image is transferred to the tree. For this we are going apply some water Using a spray bottle, gently wipe the surface with a rag. It’s very important to go with care and delicacy after removing all the paper, you can also help yourself with this with your fingertips. If, after removing all the paper, we notice that the image has White coat when it dries it’s because it’s really we didn’t remove all the paper. In this case, we need to wet the image again in those places where we see that there is some paper left and rub it gently with our fingers again.
- Once we remove all the paper and let the surface dry, our craft is ready. If we like the result, we can rate it a layer of matte varnish to protect the imageLet it dry and now we can place or give away our part.
Ideas for transferring images to wood
In decor and not only in crafts creation This is the key to creating true works of art. By transferring images you can get very original and interesting things both for decorating a room and for a gift. There are many wooden surfaces that you can transfer images to, from furniture to a simple piece of plywood, to a photo frame, box, pallet or even a homemade toy. Below we will give you some ideas for creating original products using the image transfer technique:
- Personal headboard: if we want to have an original and unique headboard, we just need to purchase a piece of wood, or several, and transfer the photo, drawing or texture that we want. It’s very important here let our imagination fly and play with the composition of the headboard and its dimensions.
- Homemade photo frame: Instead of buying a regular photo frame and placing a photo in it so that it can be seen through glass or plastic, we can create our own photo frame or canvas. To do this you only need to buy one small thick leaf of wood the size of the photo we want to transfer. We can add some kind of support to the back of the frame, include a coat rack, or simply leave it leaning against the wall and on top of a piece of furniture. This can be a very original and personal gift that will surely surprise more than one person.
- Printed piece of furniture: Today we have to do more than just transfer photographs or drawings. On the Internet we can find all kinds of images of prints or textures.. When you want to change the appearance of a piece of furniture or give it a second life with prints, you usually resort to using vinyl or adhesive paper, but this change can be done in the same way using the transfer technique, and here too will be the result for those who elements are more integrated and subtle.