The fact or act of combining the kitchen of a home with the living room is an idea that has more and more followers.
The kitchen, which opens onto the living room, is known in the decorative field as the American kitchen.. This is now very fashionable due to the small dimensions of current apartments and thanks to this you can get important but necessary meters.
Thereby, The feeling of spaciousness in houses of this type is much stronger. after all, both the kitchen and the living room remain in the same space. However, what is known as American cuisine has its advantages, but also disadvantages and inconveniences. Next we will talk to you about them and whether it is really worth combining the kitchen with the living room.
Advantages of a kitchen combined with a living room
- The main advantage of American kitchens is that they are ideal for apartments of several square meters and free up more space in them. Combining two very important rooms in the house helps to expand the area of the house.
- Another benefit of opening the kitchen into the living room is that you can see the floor. very modern and attractive decorative style.
- The third benefit is that because the home space is less divided, more light enters the apartment. There is more natural light in the kitchen, which This helps create a joyful and positive atmosphere.
- With much more and more space, the kitchen can have much larger elements. as is the case with an American bar or breakfast table.
- The last and not the least important benefit is achieving more spaciousness in your home in every sense. Communication between all family members improves. something very important today.
Disadvantages of American cuisine
Combining a kitchen with a living room has many advantages, but there are also disadvantages, which we will immediately show you.
- The main disadvantage of open kitchens is that cooking smells can linger in the living room and other areas of the house. Today, these types of shortcomings can be avoided. thanks to the use of powerful hoods which eliminates odors in the kitchen.
- Just like smells, connecting the kitchen directly to the living room will cause certain noises to fill the house. If you need to turn on the microwave or dishwasher, these appliances may be heard in the living room, which can be somewhat annoying. The living room is a place where you can relax and quietly read a book or enjoy watching TV. Nowadays, fortunately, most appliances are fairly quiet, although cooking and other activities such as washing dishes can be annoying.
- Another disadvantage of an open plan kitchen is that it tends to have a certain amount of clutter, giving it the feeling of a cluttered, poorly organized home. That is why it is advisable to almost always have the kitchen assembled and well organized. especially when there are guests.
- What could be an advantage can become a serious disadvantage. Opening the kitchen to the living room helps improve interaction between different family members. but it can also get in the way when it comes to silence. There is no door that allows you to isolate the kitchen while the kids play or watch TV in the living room.
As you have seen, a kitchen open to the living room has its advantages, but also disadvantages. There are people who decide to opt for the above-mentioned American kitchen and are happy with this result, and there are people who are not convinced by combining the kitchen with the living room. Every person is the world and The type of house or apartment is critical when deciding whether to combine the living room and kitchen into one space. If, for example, the apartment is shared by a couple who do not usually spend much time at home, the option of combining both spaces may be a good idea.
On the contrary, if it is a family with several children, the best idea may be to keep these spaces separate and independent. In any case, you will have to evaluate various needs and choose one or another home. The reality is that today the fact of combining the kitchen with the living room is an idea that has more and more followers, especially when it comes to expanding the square footage of a house or apartment. Now all you have to do is weigh the advantages and disadvantages. and decide what you consider convenient and necessary for your home.