Breakthrough pain is a relatively new concept that refers to pain experienced by people with underlying pain, such as cancer.
Breakthrough pain is a relatively new concept that refers to the pain experienced by those people With underlying pain such as that caused by cancer. This type of pain appears suddenly and is very strong, in some cases becoming truly unbearable. The percentage of people who experience breakthrough pain is very high and it negatively affects the quality of life of the sufferer. In the following article we will talk more about breakthrough pain and what can be done to reduce its symptoms.
What is breakthrough pain?
It is a temporary and sudden pain that usually appears on top of another underlying persistent pain, such as cancer. So it is normal for people who are already on medication to experience this type of pain. To manage the pain they suffer from cancer. Breakthrough pain can be divided into three categories:
- The incident happened. This type of pain is directly related to muscle movement such as coughing.
- Idiopathic. It cannot be related to any kind of specific cause.
- Breakthrough pain occurred Due to the decrease in the effects of pain relievers What a person takes for cancer treatment.
Symptoms of breakthrough pain vary depending on the patient’s underlying pain. These symptoms are a Rapid breathing, tachycardia, or excessive sweating.
What are the causes of breakthrough pain?
This type of pain usually occurs in affected patients People with chronic diseases or those receiving treatment for such diseases. Some of the factors that can cause this type of pain include:
- Pain sensations are very common in people with They have more advanced cancer.
- Suffering patients Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease They also often suffer from such pain.
- Overload affected joints People with arthritis Breakthroughs can lead to pain.
- Another cause of this type of pain is some type of inflammatory bowel disease. This is what happens with patients With Crohn’s disease.
- Some neurological injuries Like multiple sclerosis They can cause breakthrough pain.
- Affected people Some types of surgery They may experience breakthrough pain. This pain is caused by inflammation and subsequent scarring of the tissue.
Treatment of breakthrough pain
Breakthrough pain affects negatively For the person’s quality of life, causing some problems on a psychological level. In this case, the treatment should be pharmacological and non-pharmacological. In addition to the associated medications, various relaxation techniques are important.
Most commonly used medications to treat breakthrough pain They are phenadyl and morphine. These are fast-acting and very powerful opioids that are intended to calm the severe pain that the person is experiencing. Additionally, another series of medications, such as pain relievers or anticonvulsants, may be used, depending on the cause or cause of the pain and the response the person provides.
Physical therapy may be helpful for some patients with breakthrough pain. Some stretching and strengthening exercises They help reduce the load on the joints and relaxation exercises reduce muscle tension.
In short, people suffering from a chronic disease like cancer are very normal. You may also experience breakthrough pain. The pain is so intense and strong that it negatively affects a person physically and mentally. If you are suffering from this type of pain, it is better to visit a doctor to get the best treatment.