Parrots are very intelligent animals and eager to learn. That’s why it would be a good idea to teach them tricks and follow orders.
Parrots They originated in Australia, but nowadays there are many countries where this little bird lives. They belong to the parrot family and They are one of Europe’s favorite pets.
They are distinguished by their brightly colored plumage and curved beak. They are very sociable birds and if you are thinking of keeping one as a pet, you should consider getting at least two. Parrots are birds that need company, most of them are docile, but sometimes human contact is not enough.
The parrot in its natural habitat has green plumage, but today we can find blue, yellow or white plumage. Sexual differentiation is not an easy task in parrots, since the plumage of both sexes is the same. The only difference is in the upper part of the beak.. In females it is brown, in males it is blue.
Here you will find some tricks on how to train your budgie. Thanks to their intellectual abilities and character, they are able to learn some tricks and carry out basic orders. We have already warned you that you will have to be patient, he will have to adapt to the new home and trust you.
Tips for training a budgie
Training a parrot is not an easy task, but it is all a matter of time and patience. If you want a parrot that will listen to you and that you can practice with a little, here are some tips.
- The cage should be placed in a busy place, but without excessive noise or knocking.
- Working out should be a positive experience, so snacking will help you along the way. Let him try different sweets on different days to find out his tastes. They’ll love it!
- You should never put pressure on an animal, as it may get scared. We have to think that, like us, there are things we don’t like or don’t want.
- Screaming or sudden movements will also not help, as the animal will begin to get nervous.
- Like other animals, it is always easier to train a budgie when it is young.
- Be careful with “trained” parrots. Sometimes their feathers are trimmed, which prevents them from flying.
- To make him trust you, talk to him kindly, in a soft tone, so that the animal feels comfortable.
- Gain trust by bringing him food with your hand.
- If you want an animal to sit on your arm, wait until the animal feels comfortable with you. You can show him a stick to sit on and get him out of the cage.
- Clean the animal before letting it roam around the room. Keep in mind that if he gets too nervous, he may crash and get injured.
- Don’t put pressure on him, he must leave the cage on his own if he wants. If you have already placed him on your hand, this will not be difficult, but never grab him.
- If you see that he doesn’t want to go outside, you can show him a piece of fruit to encourage him. If he doesn’t want to, better try another day. We have already warned you that you should be patient while learning.
- If he is flying and you want him to return to his cage, never try to catch him by force or by throwing a piece of cloth at him. The animal will automatically become nervous and afraid of you. Don’t make a fuss either. You can put the candy in your hand and wait for him to return so you can introduce him little by little.
- Try to get him to eat inside the cage so that the animal gets used to going there when he is hungry or thirsty.
- Gradually increase the time you spend outside the cage. As the animal gains confidence outdoors, it will feel more comfortable. To train your parrot, you will have to take it out to fly home every day. This way you will create a routine.
- When training him to come when you call him, always do it in the same tone of voice. Also offer some treats first.
Parrots learn simply
As you saw, they are small very simple tricks, but they will help you gain the trust of your new pet. Parrots usually live a long time, and once they become accustomed to their home, they will become very docile and playful. There are now many types of toys available to interact with these bird species. For this purpose, you can purchase these items in specialized stores. The most important thing, we repeat, is patience and affection for the animal.
It is important to give him space and remember to always have clean water and food in his cage. Parrots are animals that take care of their hygiene, so a bath will be very useful and will help you cool down in the summer. It also contains limestone for sharpening the beak. Do you have children at home? A parrot can be the perfect friend but always under the supervision of an adult. The child will learn to take into account the needs of the bird and take on some of its tasks.